Tips for Parents
As we embark on Distant Learning, we recognize it can present different opportunities and challenges for families and students. While our number one goal is to continue high-quality instruction, we recognize the challenges and obstacles our students and families may face in the upcoming weeks will be exciting yet apprehensive. To prepare for this new approach to learning, it is important that we help our students adjust to the new normal and begin to develop good learning habits. Here are a few tips to help students find success in this new environment:
- Take a deep breath
- Be there for your child as a parent
- Continue to maintain family norms and be supportive
- Know that you are doing the best you can
- Celebrate your accomplishments and progress!
For Students & Parents
MHS students will meet with ALL teachers during the appropriate class period for synchronous instruction. There will also be opportunities for asynchronous instruction and questions outside of the assigned bell schedule time.
FCPS Distance Learning = Asynchronous Learning + Synchronous Learning
- Students learn at different times throughout the week
- Teachers provide materials (videos, assignments, activities, links, group work)
- Feedback is provided to the student through collaborative tools and email
- Communication is not live
- Flexible and allows students to work at their own pace
- Due dates and time frames are important
Examples: Pre-recorded video, Narrated Slide Deck, Screencasts, EdPuzzle, Flipgrid Video, Pear Deck student paced lessons, Blog or Discussion boards, Collaborative documents
- Students learn at the same time, often at a scheduled class time
- Requires students and teachers to be online at a specific time
- Direct interaction between teachers and students
- Allows for instant feedback and clarification
- Checking in, Q & A, discussed and presentations occur at specific times in an online setting
- Often requires more bandwidth
Examples: Video conferencing, Chat window, Telephone, Office Hours, Collaborative documents, Pear Deck teacher paced lessons
Beginning April 14th, McLean will follow the distance learning schedule linked below. We will follow this schedule for the remainder of the school year. The schedule is also available as a PDF linked here: McLean High School Distance Learning Weekly Calendar.pdf
Independent or collaborative work completed by students. Dedicated Planning Time for Instructional Staff:
- Check-in time for administrators and faculty
- Individual, grade level and content team planning within school or across division. Time to record, create and post assignments and presentations, respond to emails, etc.
Tuesday: Red Day
Independent or collaborative work completed by students. On Wednesday, the following classes will have office hours for individualized instruction and support:
AP Physics 1
AP Physics C
|Health & PE|
AB Calc & BC Calc
Computer Sci. A
|Fine and Performing Arts|
Thursday: Silver Day
Independent or collaborative work completed by students. On Friday, the course listed below will have office hours for individualized instruction and support:
AP World History
|2:30||English 12||World 1|
Teachers will be available for support and additional help during office hours. (See the schedule above for department / course-specific office hours.) Please plan ahead for the week should you have two classes which meet at the same time.
- Teachers will be available from 3:00 - 3:30 on Wednesdays and Fridays by appointment only. Please contact your classroom teacher to schedule an appointment.
- SBTS Student Technology Support will be available from 3:00 - 4:00 on Wednesdays and Fridays.
Tips for Students
Need help getting started with Distance Learning? See the "Distance Learning Tips" link below for a step-by-step guide to distance learning success!
Student Services Support
Counselors and the McLean clinical team are available every day by email. For a mental health emergency, pleae see the list of contacts below. For general academic questions and academic and emotional support, please email your counselor (linked below). Please note: all counselors and clinical team members will be checking their fcsp.edu email. Please ensure you are sending communications to their fcps.edu emails.
|CrisisLink Regional Hotline||703-527-4077|
|CrisisText||Text NEEDHELP to 85511|
|Dominion Hospital Emergency||703-536-2000|
|Merrifield Center Emergency||
703-573-5979 / TTY dial 711
Please contact the tech team members below for technical support. Ms. Langhorne and Mr. Stagliano will be checking email from 8am-3pm every day. Please note: tech support will be checking their fcps.edu email. Please ensure you are sending communications to their fcps.edu emails.
|Staff Member||Role and Responsibilities|
School-Based Technology Specialist
Technology Support Specialist (TSSPEC)
The McLean administrative team will be available every day by email fro administrative support. Please note : administrators will be checking their fcps.edu email. Please ensure you are sending communication to their fcps.edu email.