MHS Senior College Plan
Counselor Recommendation Packet
Please submit to your counselor by the first day of school.
The McLean High School Student Services Department will be transitioning to an online transcript request form for senior college application and scholarship requests.
Please complete and submit the consent form to Ms. Blalock before submitting your transcript request.
MHS Class of 2024: College Planning Timeline
- Register for late Summer or Fall SAT and/or ACT tests. Read about test optional schools.
- Research colleges in Naviance Student and save colleges to "Colleges I’m Thinking About".
- Consider touring colleges in person if possible. Some schools may have virtual options!
- College application planning spreadsheet
- Participate in the College Application Workshop Sessions first week of August.
- Reach out to 1-2 teachers before the end of the school year to write a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
- Complete the Parent & Student Questionnaires above by the first day of school.
- Many college applications are available on August 1. Begin preparing for the actual application process: draft application essays; collect writing samples; and assemble portfolios or audition tapes.
- Review Common Application prompts
- Register with the NCAA Eligibility Center if you hope to play Division I or II sports
- Begin looking for scholarships on Naviance. Check out the FAFSA4caster to estimate your eligibility for federal student aid.
- Submit transcript request to Ms. Blalock at least 30 days in advance of college deadlines
- Complete & submit college applications - be aware of application and priority scholarship deadlines
- Fill out the FAFSA when available and apply for scholarships
- Ask 1 teacher NOT writing your recommendation letter to complete the Teacher Comment Form
- Apply for scholarships (sent out in weekly newsletter)
- Complete CSS profile if applicable