AP Testing Information
2021 AP Exam Information and Updates
This school year, students will take their AP exams either in person (using a paper/pencil format) or at-home (digitally), depending on the course. Please see McLean’s AP Exam Schedule (below) to view exam dates, times, and test formats for students. AP teachers will communicate with students regarding the exam format and how to prepare for the AP exams in their specific course(s). Students taking digital exams may use their FCPS issued laptops or personal desktop/laptop computers (smartphones/Ipads/personal chromebooks may not be used for 2021 digital AP testing). Instructions on how to prepare for at-home digital exams will be provided at a later date. AP exam information will be communicated to student via FCPS Gmail accounts. Students should check their FCPS Gmail accounts frequently for exam updates and information.
McLean HS AP Exam Schedule
Digital Portfolio Submission Deadlines
- AP Art and Digital Design Portfolio Due: Thursday, May 20th at 11:59PM
- AP Seminar and Research Digital Portfolio Due: Thursday, May 20th at 11:59PM
- AP Computer Science Principles Digital Portfolio Due: Thursday, May 20th at 11:59PM
AP Exam Cancellation Information
We understand that during this challenging school year, students may want to cancel their AP exam. Students are able to cancel an AP exam this school year without penalty.
- If a student is scheduled to take an AP exam and wishes to cancel, the student should notify the school AP Testing coordinator (using the Exam Schedule Acknowledgement form below) by March 24th to request cancellation. Students who paid for an exam in MySchoolBucks and wish to cancel will also need to complete the Refund Request Form by May 3rd to request a refund be processed. (Students must fill out the form using their FCPS Google account.)
AP Exam Schedule Acknowledgement Form
All AP students at McLean must complete the AP Exam Schedule Acknowledgement Form by March 24th. (Students must fill out the form using their FCPS Google account.) By completing the form, students are verifying their exam dates, test format and intention to test. Students who need to request alternative testing arrangements or cancel an exam, may do so using the form. Alternative testing arrangements requests will be considered for the following students:
- Virtual students who are scheduled to take a paper math or science test in school, may request a digital (at-home) exam during Administration 3 in June.
- Students who are scheduled to take a digital exam at home, who do not have adequate testing space, may request to take the exam digitally (in-person) at McLean.
- Students who have two exams on the same day AND time may request to take one exam digitally (at-home) during Administration 3 in June.
- Students who have extended time accommodations with two tests on the same day may request to take one exam digitally (at home) during Administration 3 in June.
Please Note: AP World Language and Music Theory exams MUST be taken in person. There is not a digital exam option for these courses.
AP Exam Transportation Requests
Students who require bus transportation to one or more of their in-person exams should fill out the AP Exam Transportation Request Form below by April 28th. (Students must fill out the form using their FCPS Google account.)
AP Exam Frequently Asked Questions
For more information about the 2021 AP exams, reference Frequently Asked Questions regarding AP Testing on the FCPS 2021 AP/IB Testing webpage. For McLean specific questions, please contact McLean's AP Testing Coordinator at @email.
2020-21 FCPS AP Exam Registration and Fees
AP students should register for their AP exams online using the College Board MyAP platform. AP teachers will provide students with an AP course “Join Code” that will allow students to access AP resources and register for the AP exam online. The deadline to join AP courses in MyAP and register for exams is October 23rd.
Exam Registration Instructions for AP Students:
- Ensure you’ve joined your class section online by October 23rd.
- Review your registration details.
- Once you have joined the class section for each AP course you are taking, you are automatically registered for the corresponding AP exam. As confirmation of your registration, the date and time of your exam will appear in your class section view in My AP.
- Review the AP exam calendar.
- Pay any exam fees that you owe.
- FCPS pays for the first six AP exams a student takes throughout their high school career. Each AP exam beyond the first six FCPS-funded exams will incur a non-refundable fee of $95.00 (per exam). Student AP exam fees will be billed via MySchoolBucks in December. Fees should be paid within 30 days of receiving the invoice.
- FCPS AP Exam Fee Information
AP Exam Registration Frequently Asked Questions:
- How do I opt-out of an AP exam?
- AP Opt-out forms will be distributed to students the first week of October.
- Students should check the box next to any exam they do not want to take.
- Students and parents must sign the opt-out form and return it to McLean HS Student Services by October 23rd.
- If you do not opt-out by the October 23rd deadline, you will be billed for any exams beyond the 6 FCPS-funded tests via MySchoolBucks in December.
- AP Opt-out forms will be distributed to students the first week of October.
- What happens if I register for the test, but I don’t sit for the AP exam?
- For the 20-21 School Year ONLY, if you do not sit for an AP exam for which you registered, you will NOT incur a fee.
- Can I take an AP exam if I’m NOT enrolled in the course?
- Students may request to take one or more AP tests without being enrolled in the corresponding course. Requests will be granted based on seat availability/testing room capacity for AP courses currently offered at McLean HS. For exams with limited seats/capacity, non-enrolled students will be accepted on a first come, first served basis. Students will be responsible for the test fee(s) and these test(s) will not count towards their six FCPS-funded tests. A non-enrolled student AP exam order form is available in the main office. The initial exam order deadline is October 23rd, the late-registration exam deadline is March 12th. “Exam only” join codes will be provided to students upon receiving exam fees. Please note that students who are self-studying will not have access to the same online materials/resources as those enrolled in the courses.
- For additional information regarding AP exam fees, please the FCPS website at https://www.fcps.edu/testfees-questions.
College Board Testing Accommodations
Students who would like to apply to College Board for testing accommodation must do so before January 15, 2021. See the links below for the College Board accommodations request calendar and application.
Students enrolled in AP US History and AP World History may use a passing AP exam score as a substitute for a Social Studies verified credit required for graduation. Students enrolled in AP Language, may use a passing AP exam score as a substitute for the Writing verified credit required for graduation. The score conversions are listed below.
|AP Exam Score||SOL Score|
|3 or above||Pass Advanced|
Students who are interested in taking both the AP Exam AND the SOL Exam for a specific course, should fill out the AP/SOL Opt-In Form. Completed forms should be returned to Sara Wheeler in room S121 no later than Monday, February 24 for the English 11 Writing SOL.
In the event that a student scores a 1 on the AP Exam, he or she will have the opportunity to take the SOL Exam for the specific course in the Fall of the following school year. To avoid this situation, any student failing an AP English Language, AP US History or AP World History course will be strongly encouraged to take both the AP and SOL exams in May.