AP Testing Information
2021 AP Exam Information and Updates
This school year, students will take their AP exams either in person (using a paper/pencil format) or at-home (digitally), depending on the course. Please see McLean’s AP Exam Schedule (below) to view exam dates, times, and test formats for students. AP teachers will communicate with students regarding the exam format and how to prepare for the AP exams in their specific course(s). Students taking digital exams may use their FCPS issued laptops or personal desktop/laptop computers (smartphones/Ipads/personal chromebooks may not be used for 2021 digital AP testing). Instructions on how to prepare for at-home digital exams will be provided at a later date. AP exam information will be communicated to student via FCPS Gmail accounts. Students should check their FCPS Gmail accounts frequently for exam updates and information.
McLean HS AP Exam Schedule
- McLean HS AP Exam Schedule (link to printable PDF)
To verify exam testing dates, times and exam formats, students should log into their MyAP College Board account. It is critical that students are able to log into their College Board account. Students who have forgotten their username/password, should reach out to the College Board.
Digital Portfolio Submission Deadlines
- AP Art and Digital Design Portfolio Due: Thursday, May 20th at 11:59PM
- AP Seminar and Research Digital Portfolio Due: Thursday, May 20th at 11:59PM
- AP Computer Science Principles Digital Portfolio Due: Thursday, May 20th at 11:59PM
1. Students taking digital exams will take their exams using the AP Digital Exam Application. For a quick overview of the 2021 Digital Exams, we recommend watching this short video and slide presentation from the College Board. Students may take the exams using their FCPS issued laptop or a personal computer (no phones).
- *UPDATED 5/3/21* If you are using your FCPSOn (school-issued) laptop to take your AP exam, you MUST manually install a new software bundle from Software Center regardless of the version currently installed. This new install will allow the exam software to self-update when launched, previous versions will not self-update. Please use the “Updating the AP Digital Testing App Instructions” to install the updated version of the AP Digital Exam App on your school laptop. The install takes only 5 minutes or so. Don’t forget to log into the App after the installation is complete to verify the software is functioning properly. If you need assistance or are unable to complete this task, please sign up for an onsite appointment to exchange your laptop with a working one: https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/McLeanHSTechnologySupport@fcps.edu/bookings/
- Students using their personal devices MUST download the “AP Digital Exam Application” from the College Board website. We cannot offer technical support for personal devices.
2. All students should access the practice questions available in the AP Exam Digital App so they are familiar with the exam question format.
3. All students taking digital exams MUST complete the “exam set up” in the digital testing app 1-3 days before each digital exam. Your AP teacher will be monitoring this.
4. All students taking digital exams MUST check into the exam 30 minutes before the official start time of each test.
We recommend students view this College Board “Four Steps to Take Before You Can Test” flier.
- World Language students MUST use their FCPS laptop computers to record the spoken components of the exam. If your FCPS laptop is not working, please make an appointment with Mr. Stagliano (@email) ASAP.
- Students taking math/science exams in-person are reminded to bring a graphing calculator. We will not be able to loan out graphing calculators on test day.
- All students are reminded that masks must be worn for the duration of in-person exams. Students who do not wear masks will not be permitted to test in-person. Students should bring wood number 2 pencils – mechanical pencils are not allowed. Students may bring snacks and a water bottle; however, these items can only be accessed during breaks, outside the testing room.
- Students with in-person exams will receive a testing schedule via FCPS Gmail that will include testing room assignments.
Students who have been approved for College Board accommodations will receive them on digital and in-person exams. AP accommodations for digital exams are built into the AP Digital Testing App. For detailed information regarding AP accommodations on digital exams, please see the College Board website: https://apstudents.collegeboard.org/getting-accommodations/digital-exams
Students taking in-person exams with approved College Board accommodations will receive them on test day. Please note: students who have been approved for extended time accommodations are required to sit for the duration of the test – students may not leave if they finish early.
AP Exam Transportation Requests
Students who require bus transportation to one or more of their in-person exams should fill out the AP Exam Transportation Request Form below by April 28th. (Students must fill out the form using their FCPS Google account.)
AP Exam Cancellation Information
We understand that during this challenging school year, students may want to cancel their AP exam. Students are able to cancel an AP exam this school year without penalty.
*UPDATE 5/4/21*: In-Person, Paper/Pencil exams can no longer be cancelled (the exams have shipped). If you do not sit for the exam, your test will be marked “unused”. You will not receive a test score of any type and the test will not show up in your College Board account once the AP testing window closes. No further action is required.
To cancel a digital exam, please resubmit the “AP Exam Schedule Acknowledgement” form indicating which exams you’d like to cancel. ONCE YOU REQUEST TO CANCEL AN EXAM, IT CANNOT BE UNDONE. AP ordering is closed, we cannot reorder your exam, so make sure your decision is final before submitting a cancellation request.To request a refund for exams that have already been paid for in MySchoolBucks, please fill out the AP Exam Refund Request form.
Make-Up Exams / Late Testing
World Language and Music Theory Students
- Students who are absent for their World Language or Music Theory exams must contact Mrs. Wheeler (@email) within three days of the missed exam date to request a late exam. World Language and Music Theory late exams will be administered on June 4, 2021. Absent students must have a College Board approved reason for requesting an in-person late test.
Digital Exam Make-Up Requests
- Please follow the instructions on the College Board website to request a digital exam make-up exam in your MyAP College Board account. Students must request a make-up exam via their MyAP College Board account to take a digital, at-home late test in June. Exam make-up requests should be made immediately following the missed exam and must be made at least 7 days before the late exam test date. Digital make-up exams will be administered online during Administration 3 (late test window). Please see the College Board website for exam dates/times. https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/exam-administration-ordering-scores/exam-dates
In-Person Math and Science Students
- If you were absent for your scheduled in-person, paper/pencil exam, you will be automatically registered for the digital, at-home late test during Administration 3 in June. No further action is required. If you do not sit for the digital exam, you will not receive a score. Please see the College Board website for exam dates/times. https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/exam-administration-ordering-scores/exam-dates
AP Exam Frequently Asked Questions
For more information about the 2021 AP exams, reference Frequently Asked Questions regarding AP Testing on the FCPS 2021 AP/IB Testing webpage. For McLean specific questions, please contact McLean's AP Testing Coordinator at @email.
2020-21 FCPS AP Exam Registration and Fees
AP students should register for their AP exams online using the College Board MyAP platform. AP teachers will provide students with an AP course “Join Code” that will allow students to access AP resources and register for the AP exam online. The deadline to join AP courses in MyAP and register for exams is October 23rd.
Exam Registration Instructions for AP Students:
- Ensure you’ve joined your class section online by October 23rd.
- Review your registration details.
- Once you have joined the class section for each AP course you are taking, you are automatically registered for the corresponding AP exam. As confirmation of your registration, the date and time of your exam will appear in your class section view in My AP.
- Review the AP exam calendar.
- Pay any exam fees that you owe.
- FCPS pays for the first six AP exams a student takes throughout their high school career. Each AP exam beyond the first six FCPS-funded exams will incur a non-refundable fee of $95.00 (per exam). Student AP exam fees will be billed via MySchoolBucks in December. Fees should be paid within 30 days of receiving the invoice.
- FCPS AP Exam Fee Information
AP Exam Registration Frequently Asked Questions:
- How do I opt-out of an AP exam?
- AP Opt-out forms will be distributed to students the first week of October.
- Students should check the box next to any exam they do not want to take.
- Students and parents must sign the opt-out form and return it to McLean HS Student Services by October 23rd.
- If you do not opt-out by the October 23rd deadline, you will be billed for any exams beyond the 6 FCPS-funded tests via MySchoolBucks in December.
- AP Opt-out forms will be distributed to students the first week of October.
- What happens if I register for the test, but I don’t sit for the AP exam?
- For the 20-21 School Year ONLY, if you do not sit for an AP exam for which you registered, you will NOT incur a fee.
- Can I take an AP exam if I’m NOT enrolled in the course?
- Students may request to take one or more AP tests without being enrolled in the corresponding course. Requests will be granted based on seat availability/testing room capacity for AP courses currently offered at McLean HS. For exams with limited seats/capacity, non-enrolled students will be accepted on a first come, first served basis. Students will be responsible for the test fee(s) and these test(s) will not count towards their six FCPS-funded tests. A non-enrolled student AP exam order form is available in the main office. The initial exam order deadline is October 23rd, the late-registration exam deadline is March 12th. “Exam only” join codes will be provided to students upon receiving exam fees. Please note that students who are self-studying will not have access to the same online materials/resources as those enrolled in the courses.
- For additional information regarding AP exam fees, please the FCPS website at https://www.fcps.edu/testfees-questions.
College Board Testing Accommodations
Students who would like to apply to College Board for testing accommodation must do so before January 15, 2021. See the links below for the College Board accommodations request calendar and application.
Students enrolled in AP US History and AP World History may use a passing AP exam score as a substitute for a Social Studies verified credit required for graduation. Students enrolled in AP Language, may use a passing AP exam score as a substitute for the Writing verified credit required for graduation. The score conversions are listed below.
|AP Exam Score||SOL Score|
|3 or above||Pass Advanced|
Students who are interested in taking both the AP Exam AND the SOL Exam for a specific course, should fill out the AP/SOL Opt-In Form. Completed forms should be returned to Sara Wheeler in room S121 no later than Monday, February 24 for the English 11 Writing SOL.
In the event that a student scores a 1 on the AP Exam, he or she will have the opportunity to take the SOL Exam for the specific course in the Fall of the following school year. To avoid this situation, any student failing an AP English Language, AP US History or AP World History course will be strongly encouraged to take both the AP and SOL exams in May.