About the Library
Checking out books: Students type in their student ID number at the Circulation Desk. 3 books at a time may be checked out for 3 weeks. Books may be renewed for an additional 3 weeks. Fines are charged for overdue books, at a rate of $.10 per day for a maximum charge of $10.00 per book. Students will be charged for any lost books.
The library offers the following services:
- Research & citations assistance — books & online resources
- Recommendations for school assignments or personal reading
- Printer and copier available with a minimum charge
- Access to digital cameras, digital design software, and scanners
- Office and art supplies available (markers, scissors, glue, etc.)
- Poster boards, CDs, DVDs, & transparencies are available for sale
The MHS library has a variety of print & digital resources for your academic needs as well as your personal enjoyment. The library has an extensive collection of nonfiction and fiction books, and a reference collection of general and specialized encyclopedias, dictionaries, atlases, and almanacs. The library subscribes to a variety of magazines and 2 newspapers, The Washington Post & The New York Times. Library computers provide access to Microsoft Word/Office, Internet Explorer, Google Apps, advanced software applications, the library's databases, and the online catalog.
There is a Silent Room for independent study.
The online resources are available at home/off campus. Access information is available by logging on to your FCPS 24/7 Blackboard account.
The library is a place for quiet reading, studying, and homework. Guided student collaboration is welcome. Students are expected to:
- Talk quietly
- Leave food, candy, and drinks outside
- Cell phones are permitted with the exception of voice calls
- Use computers only for school work while following the acceptable use policy.